College Baseball Talk  

Go Back   College Baseball Talk > The Clubhouse - Off-topic Discussion > General Site Chit-Chat

Old 09-11-2014, 02:25 PM
College Baseball Fan

Default MLB Discussion

The MLB Playoffs are right around the corner, and while the Rangers are probably going to be picking first in next year's MLB Draft after an awful 2014 season, I'm still excited for the postseason. I'm hoping the Royals make the playoffs, and I'm cheering for the Nationals in the NL.

Who does everyone like in general, and what are your thoughts and wishes for the playoffs?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Go Blue!

I'm also looking forward to the MLB playoffs. Can't wait to see how the extra Wild Card teams fare. Still not sure I like the change. Need some convincing.

Since I moved to the Northwest, it was easy to become a Mariners fan. They seem to be trending upward with really good pitching. Unfortunately, they're battling my long-time favorite team from my origins for a chance to play in October.

Otherwise, I simply like seeing teams in the playoffs who aren't usually there. The Nationals meet that criteria. The Braves don't.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:57 PM
College Baseball Fan

Who's your long-time favorite?

I agree with you though when it comes to seeing teams that aren't always in the playoffs make it. I used to be a big Seattle fan in the early-90s until I started cheering for Texas hardcore in the early 2000's. I'm a huge Rangers fan now though, so I don't cheer for the M's, A's, Angels, etc. I don't mind the Orioles, but the loss of Chris Davis will hurt them a bit. The Royals are definitely my preference in the AL.

In the NL, I'm rooting for the Pirates to sneak in the playoffs too. I'm pretty burned out on the Cardinals, so I'll be happy with pretty much any team other than them. They're starting to play well though down the stretch. I'm not a Dodgers fan (more of a Giants guy), but Clayton Kershaw is really fun to watch. He'd be fun to watch in a World Series. He's crazy good right now.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Go Blue!

Tigers. I'm from just north of Detroit. They look very vulnerable this season. Verlander needed to take some time off and get healthy rather than keep throwing at 80%. Another Miggy injury has dogged him. More bullpen wows. That seems to be a tradition, or curse, depending on how you look at it.

Would like to see the A's be the odd team out in the AL. Done with their darlings of MLB. Strong dislike for the Anjols. Good to see Houston do better this year. Springer is a stud. Bummer about his injury. Sorry to see the free-fall of Texas. Tons of injuries are hard to overcome. Still didn't think they'd drop off that much. Oh, and thanks for the Kinsler-Fielder trade. Never liked him in Motown.

Really don't care about the NL. Agreed about the Cards. Would prefer the Brew Crew replace them for a spot in the post-season. Probably won't watch any/much of those games. A WA-LAD series would be about the only reason to watch any of those games.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:33 PM
College Baseball Fan

I figured your team was the Tigers, since you're a Michigan fan. But I didn't want to assume too much, lol.

The only silver lining of the Rangers' dreadful season is the fact we'll get the top pick in next year's MLB Draft, and we've gotten a lot of quality playing time for some youngsters. If (it's always an if) some of our veterans can return well from injury, we should be back in the hunt in 2015. I won't predict us ahead of the A's or Angels, but we'll have plenty of talent to contend with those two teams along with the Mariners. And if it doesn't happen for us next year, it might be time to start moving some pieces and getting younger.

We beat the Braves tonight and just now, so that's a damper for them at least. Maybe we can play a little spoiler.

I'd definitely be up for a Dodgers/Nationals series in the NL!
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 PM
College Baseball Fan

Well, things are set for the MLB Playoffs. The action will begin Tuesday night.

AL Wild Card Game- Oakland at Kansas City
NL Wild Card Game- San Francisco at Pittsburgh

ALDS- Oak/KC vs. LAA and Detroit vs. Baltimore
NLDS- SF/Pitt vs. Washington and St. Louis vs. LAD

Any predictions or thoughts now that we have the match-ups? I'm going with the Nats to beat Detroit in the World Series. The Tigers are too good not to get through the AL, and the Nats are the best all-around team right now. It's gonna be a fun ride!